Granted, it might only be a few dimes and nickles, but it does add an element of surprise to such drudgery. And it's a lot better than finding smushed chocolate candies or chap stick.
*Having perpetual slobber marks on the shoulder of every shirt I own
Drool on the shoulder is the true mark of motherhood. Double points if it is a new shirt.
*Unconditional love
Five minutes after you've reprimanded or been cross with your child they've forgotten and are ready to be your best friend again. Amazing.
*Evolving into a multi-tasking machine
Being a mom has taught me how to type on the computer, feed a baby, and talk on the phone at the same time. Every day you're thrown into the gauntlet of "Survival of the Fittest" and you'd better be ready to cook dinner, watch the news, answer the phone, load the dishwasher, and keep your baby from pulling out all of the Saran wrap simultaneously. I'd like to see Martha Stewart do that.
*Smiles, kisses, and hugs on demand
Sometimes there's nothing better than gathering your children around you for a group hug. And how can you say no to big wet slobbery kisses accompanied by "I wuv you mama". My heart melts.
*Hearing the pitter-patter of little feet
Granted it's not as cute at 6:00 in the morning than say oh, 8:30, but I know I will miss it when all of those little feet have grown into big feet that don't want to get out of bed in the morning.
*Being a teacher
There is something so satisfying about watching your child learn something new, big or small. Teaching our children is one of the biggest responsibilities we have as mothers, and also one of the most fulfilling. We help shape these little people into who they are going to be. No other job or career in the world can come close to touching that.
*Checking on everyone before I go to bed
I love when the house is quiet, and I go around to turn off lights and lock doors and peek in on my children to make sure they are covered up and tucked in. I can't help but stare at their peaceful little faces. Remember this post and picture? So sweet.
Being a mother is so much harder than I ever could have imagined, but I feel blessed for the opportunity. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It's all worth it.
"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path." -Agatha Christie
"I am a mother. I am an asset manager. I specialize in futures." -unknown


8 comments:
Great list, Sarah! Being a Mom is more fulfilling than I even thought it would be and it's because of all the reasons you mentioned on your list.
this phrase popped into my head yesterday as i was looking at pictures of my kids.(before reading your post) even the pictures with the frowny faces that i see quite often in my day made me smile. we are so blessed by our beautiful, happy, healthy, quirky,sometimes agreeable, loving kids!
I couldn't agree more! Great reminder!
Great post, great reminders!
As I was reading your post I was doing just as you talked about- on the computer, feeding baby, talking on the phone!
What a great list of mothers lives.
I think it is so neat that you find joy in all the little and big tasks of the hood of mothers. Stains on every shoulder for sure.
There is something so wonderful and satisfying about your child giving your a big sloppy smooch. I dread the day when they will be too "cool" to kiss their mama! I hope it never comes.
I love how you see the positive side of doing laundry! I hate looking in the pockets! And I couldn't agree with you more about the unconditional love. It's amazing to me how fast my kids will forgive me and others! We moms are so talented. We should win an award or something! Hey, we missed you at the Enrichment!
I loved this post, Sarah. I can easily say "ditto" to every one of those reasons.
My favorite part of being a mom is when the kids come up to me and give me an unprovoked hug and kiss. It grounds me and reminds me how lucky I am to have these sweet little people in my life.
Post a Comment