Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




March 2, 2010

The Long and Winding Road

Today was our 8th wedding anniversary. I jokingly told Riley that it feels more like our 80th anniversary. He agreed. It feels like we've been married FOREVER. Most of the time that's a good thing. I think if I had to make a graph of all the ups and downs we've experienced in the last 8 years it would look pretty rollercoaster-ish. We've done a lot of growing together and weathered some tough storms. That's been a good thing for us because I know we'll always stick together no matter what. I know there are times when we drive each other completely crazy. Sometimes we can let little things build into big things. It really bugs me when Riley leaves his socks, shoes, and jackets all over the house. I know it bugs him when he wants to go to sleep and I'm STILL reading with the lamp on. But, we can never stay mad for long and we make a good team. This last year especially, it has become more evident than ever that it takes both of our unique qualities to make our marriage work and our family life function smoothly. I know that Riley always has my back and constantly works his tail off so he can make a good life for us. He has really stepped up this year with all sorts of things that most guys hate to do, but he does it willingly and that makes my life a heck of a lot easier. Grocery shopping, stopping by the library to pick up my books, and getting up in the middle of the night to help with the babies are just a few of the things I really appreciate. Really isn't it just the little things and trying to make each other happy that makes all the difference? I truly think so. And never underestimate the power of kind words.

The last 8 years have included:

3 moves
4 different jobs (and then some)
4 babies
1 mischevious dog
9 months (at least) of horrible morning sickness
7 vehicles
1 car accident (Riley hit a deer, or the deer hit Riley depending on how the story is told)
1 ankle surgery
1 tropical vacation
2 Emergency Room Visits
4 coast trips
1 rained out camping extravaganza
Saying goodbye to 3 loved ones
2920 days of being married to my best friend
And very little sleep........

What an adventure!

7 comments:

Kris said...

This post just made me smile. The adventures of married life are so fun and exciting. You and Riley really are a great time. Glad to know you had a Happy Anniversary!

PROUD MOMMY said...

A very long way from that terrible job at Dakota...(but not long enough if you ask me). You guys do make a great team. I was just telling Chip last night that since he and Riley started coaching together at SR, combined we have added 5 children to our families (well after April 30th that is)...just crazy!!
Congrats on 8 and here's to a gazillion more!! Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

so...you know that i love rascal flatts. well whenever i think of my best friend and others talk about their best friend it always makes me think of the song, "God bless the broken road...that led me straight to you." what a blessing it is that our paths were better laid out then we could've imagined in the days of our youth. 8 down, eternity to go! :) :) there's still time for ri to get down that sock thing :) :)

Heather said...

You guys are perfect for each other. Happy Anniversary!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary! Make it make it through 80 more. :)

almond nuthouse said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! Hope you get to sneak away from the kiddos and enjoy a romantic evening out.

Julie said...

you make a great team and you guys are such an example to me. Thanks! happy aniversary and have a great trip!