She was in charge of choosing what to cook, making a grocery list, and then doing the cooking and setting the table, and so on. She chose to make spaghetti which is one of her most favorite things to eat, and I told her I would teach her how to make home made french bread to go with it. We were also going to make a salad to go with it (but mom forgot to get a salad mix from the store), so after thinking it over with Kendle we decided to just add some olives and grapes to the menu instead. This was her meal after all, it should be things she likes to eat. We were also going to make fruit pizza for dessert, but we are going to make it for tonight's dessert instead. We were a little cooked out.
She came racing in the door after school, so excited to get started. I had to help with a few things for safety reasons (like draining the pasta), but other than that she did just about everything with some instructions from me. I think she liked baking the bread the best. I tried to be patient the whole way through (which at times was a bit tough) and I think it turned out to be a good experience for her and for me as well. It made me realize I need to get her in the kitchen more to help me and learn from me so I can start giving her more responsibilities. And, I think she realized how much work it can be to prepare a meal and clean up. She was very good about my cleaning as you go rule and even helped unload the dishwasher while she was waiting for the bread to rise. So it was win-win all around.
Here are some pictures:
Morgan was excited too. He loves spaghetti and french bread. He told Kendle that the food was dee-wish-iss!










7 comments:
She mus tbe so proud of herself. What a great activity for both of you. I'm looking forward to doing it with Hannah soon.
WOW homemade French bread. I'm impressed. She looks so happy and she did a great job from the looks of it too. I can't wait to start working on this with Kippi soon she is pumped. I love how Morgan was jus as excited so cute:)
Your bread looks yummy Kendle!!!
Good job!!
Sarah- she looks like a pro. Isn't it so nice to have older kids who can help out with things at home.
We did that yesterday too over here. Spaghetti, French Bread, really all of that. Funny.
I had my little sous chef in the kitchen doing dishes, loading the dishwasher, setting the table, getting pans out and ready, but it sounds like we'll get to do it all again in a few more months when she turns eight. =) I liked it. I wasn't as frazzled trying to do it all myself and the dishwasher ran while we ate. =)
She looks so grown up. I still remember her telling me that she was getting a new baby before she went to kindergarten. Great job Kendle!
Looks yummy!
I love her cute little grin. She looks so proud of her hard work!! And it looks like it was a delicious meal, great job Kendle!
Post a Comment