Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 27, 2010

Progress?

I guess if my aching shin/ankle combination and my bruised toenail that is about to turn a nice purplish black is any indication, I am doing a good job of keeping up with my running/workout routine. When I was playing volleyball in high school, my feet would always get really sore and have problems the first few weeks of practice because of all the short sprints and jumping and so on. It was quite painful. I had several toe nails that would fall off and I'd get blood blisters underneath others. One year I had a horrible blister on the side of my right pinky toe that got so bad I started to get a red line running up my foot which was an indication I was on the verge of getting some nice infectious blood poisoning. I had to have my mom cut that sucker open and get all the toxic goo out. (Doesn't that get your appetite going?) That could be one of the most painful memories I have. Youch!

The strange thing is that pretty much all of my foot problems occur on my right foot. My right ankle is the only one I've ever sprained as well. Why all the right sided problems? I've tried different shoes, different sizes, better socks, yada - yada - yada. Nothing really seems to help. I guess having sensitive feet is just one of my hurdles to jump in this life. This is just something I have to get over whenever I start doing something new.

I've had 8 years of going up and down in the weight department. I've gained as much as 70 pounds with one pregnancy; Kendle my big old 10 pound baby.  After Kendle was born it took me a good 2 years of blood sweat and tears to lose that 70 pounds. I've figured with all of my kids combined I've had to lose close to 185 pounds over the years. That is a whole person. It gets harder and harder when you can't lose all the weight you need to in between each baby and the next thing you know that "baby weight" just wants to stick like glue and never leave. But I have gotten to the point where I am just sick of not feeling as healthy as I've wanted to and haven't had the energy level I need. I knew I needed to step it up and that I can reach the goals I've set for myself. I'm trying not to be so worried about what the scale says and more concerned with getting back in good shape and feeling really strong again. I want to be a positive role model for my family.

So even though the thought of putting shoes on with my sore toe and running right now gives me the shivers, that's exactly what I'm going to go do. And that is how I know I'm making progress. The term "no pain, no gain" is definitely going to be applicable the next little while.

9 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sarah,

how funny that you posted this today. I've been having swollen ankle issues on my right foot as well as shin splint problems whenever I run. So I went to Marsh and asked for some advice. He took an impression of my foot and found that I have almost no arch on my right foot from past sprains to that foot. He said I needed orthotics [insoles made for your feet] and they arrived yesterday.

I am leaving in just a few minutes to pick them up and I will let you know how they work and if they help my ankle issues!

PRP said...

My feet were always a mess in high school as well from hours and hours of ballet. Losing toenails is no fun.

You are doing great and look fantastic so hang in there! It's amazing what we ask our bodies to do throughout the baby-having years!

Anonymous said...

I think you are as beautiful as ever.

I have a foot bothering me right now too. I decided 4 weeks ago that I was going to do an 8-week 5K walk training program. I'm halfway through it and my foot is definitely aching as a result. Ibuprofen has become this girl's best friend as of late.

Keep going, Sarah!!! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Forget the scale. The best measure of progress is how you feel. Im sure the way your clothes fit tell you everything you need to know! :)

PDX Toveys said...

Try seeing a Podiatrist. They'll fix you up. Unfortunately orthotics are expensive (insurance won't cover much if any at all) but you're worth it! ~Molly

Kris said...

I am impressed with your determination! You are a stud! Keep it up, bruised toenail, and aching shin/ankle.

::lindsay said...

Okay, the feet thing has got to be killer! I used to dance growing up as well, so I know a thing or two about having crazy feet.

I'm so impressed with you. You look fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Yikes! I knew there was a reason I hated running ;)
Keep it up Sarah, you look fab!

Lisa said...

I have been having problems with my left foot since I started running and went to a podiatrist. I tried the orthotics. Didn't help. I went back and he is suggesting surgery! Yikes!
Good luck and keep pushing!