I was so GLAD when they announced last night on American Idol that they will be doing more music from the Beatles next week due to so many letters, calls, and requests. When I look back on my life, their music definitely made up a huge part in the soundtrack. My parents had all of their records and I think every one of my siblings and I know almost every song by heart. Their music transcends times, fads, and genres. I'm a huge fan. I need to have my mom do a post about them on her blog, because she is the true expert. She can tell you all about the excitement of watching them perform for the first time on the Ed Sullivan show. Here's a clip from that performance:
Their popularity spread like wild fire!
Now even my husband and children love their music and here are some of our favorites:
-Riley loves Twist and Shout, if you've ever seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and the parade scene, you know how hard it is to hear that song and not start bopping your head and dancing around.
-I have too many favorites, but I love Blackbird, Hey Jude, Julia, Penny Lane, Yellow Submarine, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Let it Be, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Golden Slumbers, OK the list could go on and on.....I can't pick.
-Kendle loves Hello Goodbye, We can work it out, and All you Need is Love. She always requests to listen to her "kids sing the Beatles hits" in the car.
Morgan doesn't have a favorite yet.
After watching the movie "Across the Universe", I fell in love with this music all over again. I loved the arrangements and the amazing voices of the characters in the film. *Side note: I would not say this movie is for everyone, some parts might be kind of trippy and confusing if you aren't familiar with their music and the time period. But the MUSIC is outstanding and I hope that next week on American Idol, the contestants can take a lesson or two from that soundtrack and do something spectacular. To quote from one of their songs, "Don't Let Me Down".
March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Sarah, I totally agree. On Tuesday night I was watching AI with my parents and I commented to them that there were so many great songs that hadn't been sung, and I wished that they would do another week of Beatles songs.
My dad is such a big fan of the Beatles and because of that and the fact that the music is just so great, I am a fan.
Funny story: I hope you don't mind me sharing it here. When I was young and very into the New Kids on the Block, I once had a discussion with my dad driving down court street about how I thought that NKOTB were the "new" Beatles. He, of course, completely disagreed and said that they were no where near as good as the Beatles. We went back and forth and I just remember thinking...you'll see Dad, they will be as big as the Beatles.
I didn't get it back then how influential the Beatles had been, but I get it now, and dad was right. The Beatles were MUCH MUCH better and THAT is why their music is covered more than any other music out there.
Sorry for such a long comment :)
Marilyn-
Loved your NKOTB story, I felt the same way. I can't believe I liked their music as much as I did. Too funny.
Love the Beatles always and forever.
Marilyn's story is awesome. I think we all have wished for a group to be the next Beatles. But I am thankful that no one has been able to do it yet. There is just nothing that can compare to the absolute talent that these guys had.
I am so happy that American Idol will be doing The Beatles again next week.
I loved your family's list of favorites. It's a true testament to the greatness of the band, that every single one of those songs is a classic. Every one is perfect!
My first thought when I heard this last night was, "Oh no! David's going to choke again!" But we'll have to see what he does next week! I loved this theme and am glad they're giving it another go!
I guess I might be by myself on this comment, but I was bummed, to hear that they would do Beetles again this next week. But Sarah, I'm looking at the songs that are your favorites, and I know what these ones sound like. Was I the only one that didn't know any of the songs that were sung on Tuesday? Maybe it's just me, so that's fine, but oh well. Here's to more Beetles Music, and lots of fun on AI next Tuesday! Hopefully next week will be better for David too.
I'm with Kris on this one. I was really disappointed to hear there will be a 2nd week of Beatles. I look forward to seeing a new style every week - making the contestants branch out and sing songs/styles they normally wouldn't. I'm tempted to boycott this week and not watch it. I bet David cried when he heard that news! Better luck next time...
Deb-
That's like blasphemy in this family. HA!
I really have got to start watching AI again.
Marilyn-I remember feeling the same way about the NKOTB. How embarassing!
I know, Sarah. It's a small reminder that I really am just an in-law! :)
Deb
Debbie,
Thanks for not agreeing with me. I totally thought I'd be by myself on this one. Ha! I don't think I'll boycott the show, but hopefully I'll hear some familiar songs this week!
Duh Kris, I meant to say, "Thanks for AGREEING with me!" Ooops!
Post a Comment