Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 15, 2010

I read something this week that has been eating away at me. On a certain semi-famous  LDS blogger's blog this week there was some controversial discussions going on. Many commenters strayed off topic and used it as an open forum to bash the LDS church, it's members and lifestyle. They seemed to have just been laying in wait for this perfect opportunity to jump on their hateful bandwagon and spew out line after line of ridiculous commentary. I was frustrated that the blogger allowed the hateful comments and mud slinging to go on, and I was also disgusted with the commenters who felt that the only way to champion their cause was to tear down and cast stones against the very people they were demanding tolerance and respect from.

One comment in particular really, really bothered me and it really had nothing to do with the topic at hand, it was more their own personal rant about Mormon women (yes grouping us all in one large category indicating that we are all exactly the same) and how we only get married so we can have tons and tons of children and then basically do nothing with our lives and how she would like to hear at least one LDS woman speak out and say that she chose to do something more important with her life than become a mother. I sat there and read the comment over and over again. What would that be I thought? How do you rate the importance of one thing over the other? I have read so many quotes from successful men and women that attribute everything they've done to their  mothers and in turn consider their own children some of their life's greatest accomplishments. And should we be worried about what the world feels is important or holds more value?

Anyway, I've had a hard week of mothering my own children and trying not to be crabby even though I am exhausted and frustrated with the type of week it's turned out to be. Even so, that never makes me wish I would have chosen a different path. Otherwise there would be no Kendle or Morgan or Cooper or Kale. And I think that would make this world a little less awesome.

8 comments:

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

Amen! If it's the blogger I think it is then I too read the post. I didn’t read the comments but she mentioned them in a post. I'm sorry your week was rough and I hope your weekend is everything you need it to be :)

Sarah said...

Thanks! My weekend is alreayd off to a good start!

::lindsay said...

I hate attitudes like that. It's so hard because being a stay-at-home mom just doesn't get the respect that it deserves these days. There is truly nothing more important and I wish the world would see that more.

Sorry your week was rough. Here's hoping you have a fantastic weekend!!!!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...your post about this person's comment has me thinking alot of things. and i have an analogy. it's one you won't find in the scriptures.:) people and dogs have alot more in common than you realize. today i was going for a nice walk on a beautiful day. walks are meant to be enjoyable but that get's thrown right out the window when every 10 steps you take there's a dog rushing the fence and growling at you. that person is like those dogs. jumps out from nowhere to bark, bark, bark. for no reason, to people who are happily going about their day. they don't care who they bark at. men, women, children...they're all fair game. i told them, in my own way, to be quiet. but did they listen? no! those dogs will still be barking at the fence the next time, and the next, but i don't have to let them bother me. i'll turn up my music, look at the world around me and keep on walking. motherhood has given you the very skills you need to deal with comments such as those. it's been my experience that when people try to attack who i am or what i believe they are only strenghtening and affirming that knowledge. so in a way, i guess they deserve a biscuit :)

Kris said...

Moms have the best job. There have been a few times when people here have asked me "What do you do?" When I say, "I'm a stay at home mom!" I get quite a few responses. But one guy in particular said, "That is the best job in the world, and the toughest." This morning was brutal for me. The Ups of motherhood, defeat the Downs by far. Children have a way of forgiving and forgetting. I am so grateful for that. The gospel of Jesus Christ is my strength to get through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Us LDS moms, we are strong and we have courage. And there's nothing that can tear that down. Glad you are having a good weekend! Love you girl!

Sarah said...

So true ladies, so true. I think all mom's are "working" mom's. Everyone makes a decision on what's best for them according to their own life situation.

Anonymous said...

When I hear comments like that, I have to wonder what the background of that person is. Did they themselves have a mother they felt did not live up to their expectations? Perhaps they themselves, for one reason or another, cannot have children themselves and are bitter because of it? Mostly, I just feel sad for them that they have chosen to not see what an impact a devoted mother can make on the lives of their children, and the long lasting effect it can have on adding to a productive society.

Julie said...

AMEN!