Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




October 22, 2010

Perfect Getaway

Wednesday afternoon Riley and I took off for a little overnight stay in Portland. A month or so ago, I saw that one of my favorite bands was going to be coming there and since they hardly ever tour, I didn't want the chance to pass me by. So I ordered tickets online and we decided to just have faith that we could make it happen. Yes, there are more famous artists on my list to see in concert, but this husband/wife duo was on the very tip-top of my "absolute must see if they come anywhere close" list. It felt like fate that the date of the concert worked out, child care worked out, and Riley's soccer/work schedule allowed us to leave.

Upon arrival in Portland, we decided to check into our hotel and then get something to eat before the show. We were staying downtown right by the Convention center. As we got closer and closer we noticed streets blocked off, police everywhere and crowds of people. "Was there a bomb scare?" I joked to Riley. Then we started seeing people holding signs and it suddenly dawned on us why there were thousands and thousands of people making their way to the convention center  - President Obama was coming to campaign for the Governor of Oregon and having a huge rally - right across the street from where we were staying. Wow, totally didn't do very good planning on that one. The only reason we stayed where we did was because Riley's work uses them for business trips and we got a good deal. So just getting into the parking lot for the hotel took lots of maneuvering and was quite the adventure. We saw lots and lots of interesting folks waving their signs around (some of which made absolutely no sense whatsoever) hoping to catch a glimpse of the president. I think they said there was around 8,000 people or so.

{Side note: Every time we go to Portland, I always come away with the distinct impression that they want to discourage as many people from driving there as possible. It is seriously annoying.} Luckily we found a good parking spot across the street from the venue for the concert and there was already a line wrapping around the outside of the building so we thought we'd better hustle over and get in line. It was a beautiful warm night and we marvelled that it was nearly Halloween and we could stand outside without coats on. It was held at the Aladdin Theater, which only seats around 620 people. What a cool place to see a live show. Since it is on the smaller side there isn't really a bad place to sit. All the floor seats have a good view and then there is a balcony up top as well. The only thing I could complain about was the lack of air conditioning so it was pretty darn warm in there. I couldn't believe all the people that were still sitting there in their big wool coats and sweaters. Crazy! We had good seats in the middle section about 6 or 7 rows back and the sound inside was great.

The lovely Lucy Schwartz was the opening act. She came on stage to get things started  at 8:00 sharp.


She plays the piano, guitar, and harmonica and was backed by another lady guitarist and an amazing woman percussionist who sat on a wooden box and made the coolest sounds with her hands, feet, and all sorts of little instruments. They did a 30 minute set that went by way, way too fast and was simply a - ma -zing. I had only heard a few of her songs before, but her song "Life in Letters" from her new album of the same name is definitely my new favorite. It's a toe tapper, and a hand clapper. I can't stop singing it. Riley looked at me after she finished her first song and was like - wow! He didn't think he'd be enjoying the music but even he was blown away. Lucy's song "When We Were Young" was the theme song for the television show "Parenthood" and also "Life in Letter's" was featured on a recent episode of ABC's "No Ordinary Family." Here's the clip:



Her new album is super great and it was seriously a treat to have her as the opening act.

After a brief set change to fill the stage with lighted lamps decorated like their album cover art and glowing candles, The Weepies hit the stage at 9:00.


They are touring to promote their new album "Be My Thrill" which was recently released. They have a three year old and a 6 month old baby. Deb Talan and her husband Steve Tannen have the magical ability to make the best harmonies and make music that just melts like butter on warm bread. I think Deb Talan has probably my most favorite voice in the whole wide world. It's simple and clear and unpretentious. I was worried that they wouldn't sound as good live as on their recorded music, but I am so glad to say that not only did they sound better than I could have imagined, but in between songs they were hilarious and entertaining and you couldn't help but fall in love with them. Like, I seriously wanted to move in next door to them so we could be neighbors and hang out and listen to them play music all the time. They were backed by a four piece band that added to their nice indie-singer/songwriter folksy, pop rock magic. It really was magical. Seriously. I've been to concerts to see people that I've liked, but never someone where I love every single one of their songs and each and every song is a work of art.  And sometimes other artists are kind of off key and lacking, not so with The Weepies. They packed in 20 songs and each and every one gave me goosebumps. They love their fans and gave us the feeling that we were just old friends that they were playing for. If I wouldn't have been about ready to pass out from the heat, I probably would have stuck around after it was over like a crazy obsessed fan and told them how their music changed my life and their lyrics paint the prettiest pictures that any lyrics could. They are pure genius to me, and I don't dish out compliments like that very often. We tried to get some pictures, but the lighting was low so they didn't come out that clear.


(Deb and Steve are holding hands in the middle)

This was taken at the end of the show. Right after which they returned following a standing ovation to do an encore of three more songs. It couldn't have been a more beautiful evening. We couldn't get very good video footage on Riley's phone but here is a clip of their concert five days earlier in California. This is one of their most well known songs "The World Spins Madly On".



Me after the concert getting ready to head back to the hotel:


I'm so glad we got to go and I know it will be something I will always remember. Umm, and did I mention the people watching was awesome? There was definitely a good mix of people from every walk of life. I guess that is the great thing about music is that it brings so many different types of people together.

The following morning we ate a late breakfast, squeezed in some shopping at the Nike and Gap outlet and then enjoyed a lovely drive through the Columbia Gorge which was splendid with jewel toned colors of autumn. To this busy mom of four, and wife to one of the busiest men I know, it was the perfect little getaway.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad it was better than you could of imagined. and you took the durango? :) :) didn't that feel pretty empty?

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a memorable getaway. There's nothing like some time away from your kids to relax and rejuvinate. I think it's one of the most important ingredients in being a happy mom!

PDX Toveys said...

Glad you guys had a good time. Oh and thanks for stopping by.

Jer

Nancie said...

Luuuuuuucky duck.

I saw news coverage of the campaigning. Uuuhhggg you had to drive in that?

Good boy Riley. Keep mommy happy!

Sarah said...

Jer, it was literally a whirlwhind trip. We almost called you guys to meet up for dinner but we lost a lot of time with all the people downtown blocking the streets and roads closed. We should have came and crashed at your place for a bit after the concert and raided your fridge since we were starving!

almond nuthouse said...

aaahhhh, that sounds like so much fun. I want a get-a-way like that!! You totally deserve it sarah!

Lisa said...

Glad you were able to get away and have fun with the hubs!

Kris said...

What a fun trip. I love how you described standing in line with no jacket on. I was just telling Jack on Saturday about that story. We looked around as we walked into Costco! Not one person in a coat! It's nice. But the rain is here now! Glad you had a great time!