Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




January 23, 2009

Baking Powder Biscuits and other Ramblings

Back in my college/younger years I dated a guy who's grandmother made the BEST baking powder biscuits that were so flaky and light and melted in your mouth practically. The family all called her NeeNee and she was from New Orleans. She had the best accent and stories and would tell me about all of the great food to be found in Louisiana, specifically one instance where she had the best "Poor Boy Sandwich" down in the French Quarter - which is New Orleans oldest neighborhood. She also made us eat a spoonful of black eyed peas on New Year's Day which is supposed to bring you good luck through the year. She was a bit on the eccentric side, but boy she could really cook.

What got me thinking about NeeNee and her biscuits, was that I happened to stumble upon a really good baking powder biscuits recipe that I've used about three times in the last two weeks (not so good for the old waistline) that is very yummy. It's the best recipe I've found yet for them and VERY easy to make. So if you're in the mood for making something homey and cozy this weekend, try these out:


Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder (you can add a bit more depending on your preference)
3/4 tsp. salt
5 T shortening
3/4 cup milk


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly and in little pea sized pieces. Add milk a little at a time until a ball forms and dough pulls away from the sides (not too sticky). Roll out on floured surface and cut into biscuits ( I would err on the thick side depending on your preference). If desired brush tops with butter, and then bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

I like that it uses ingredients I always have on hand and they come together in minutes. Leftovers are great reheated for breakfast and topped with scrambled eggs and cheese.


I am looking forward to having a somewhat relaxing weekend. Something to celebrate - Saturday is the last day of hunting season for Riley. Hurray! No more dead birds in our driveway, huge loads of hunting clothes to wash, boring recounts of the days hunt that I somewhat pretend to listen to, and getting woken up at 4:00 in the morning when Riley leaves. He was pretty stoked that today he was getting to go hunting with some famous guys. They are going to be on a hunting video. One of the guys invented the "Final Approach Blind", if any of you don't know what that is , I'll just tell you that is a VERY big deal. He would be like the Bill Gates of the hunting world. Riley has shot three banded geese this year (which is pretty much unheard of I guess?) so I think he is quite content for hunting season to come to an end. Now we will have a few slow weeks of nothingness until soccer starts up.

That's all for today - have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my goodness. I haven't made biscuits in so long. They sound so good. Sounds like a great time ahead for you and the family.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Rich is not a hunter. I'm not surprised Riley is rubbing shoulder's with the big-wigs. Riley's just like that, isnt' he? We love him.

hatch said...

I hear you on the hunting thing. Thats what my husband is doing right now. I do not get it. I do not like the extra laundry either. Between hunting and snow mobiling I am buried in laundry this time of the year.

PRP said...

Those sound delicious. I'll have to give them a try.

And I'd like to say again that I'm so glad I'm not married to a hunter! I don't think I could do it. You're a good woman.

Kris said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe Sarah. It looks so good. I wish my family liked biscuits as much as I do.

I'm glad that hunting season is over too. Cuz I'm ready to come to your house and not have dead birds staring at me when I get out of my car. Seriously I about barfed the other day. Nasty! :) Happy Hunting Riley!

momtovey said...

Kris is sooo funny!

tharker said...

I love a good biscuit, but I tend to always make them flat and hard. I really need to try these out, they look so good!

Have a great weekend w/out the dead birds!