Words To Live By:

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."




January 6, 2009

Journaling

There is a blog page called the Simple Woman's Daybook that inspired me to record some details of my life each week that might seem menial to me, but would perhaps be valuable to look back on. I'm going to try and start doing this every week to help me remember the every day things.

*For today January 6, 2009*

Outside my window...
The snow is melting and the streets are slushy. The tarp over our dogs kennel was supporting a huge 30 pound block of ice. Bye, bye snow.

I am thinking...
About all that I need to accomplish this week and some fun things that I can do with Morgan today to keep him entertained. What to make for dinner?

I am thankful for...
My little family and our warm little home. This morning while Kendle was eating breakfast I wrapped myself up in a blanket, turned the fire place on, and felt really grateful to have those comforts.

From the kitchen...
I smell the lingering scents of breakfast and yesterdays homemade bread that is tempting me on the counter. I see mail that needs to be sorted and school work that needs to be filed or thrown away. In our fruit bowl some bananas are ripening and I'll have to make some banana bread with them before too long. The sink is empty with no dishes. Yay!

I am wearing...
Workout clothes. Grey athletic pants, a red and white Adidas top, and my Nike's. My hair's in a ponytail like usual.

I am creating...
Plans to redo a couple of rooms in my house. Kendle wants to repaint her room and do it more "girly" she says. She loves Paris for some reason, so I found some pictures of the Eiffel Tower and some other cute things, just need to get that ball rolling.

I am going...
To get on the treadmill and break a sweat and hopefully do some free weights after that. Also, throw in a couple of loads of laundry later. Tonight I'll be attending a Stake leadership meeting at the church.

I am reading...
I just finished "World Without End" by Ken Follet, and last night I started the Alex Hawke series by Ted Bell. I bought the whole series for Riley for Christmas, but I was also buying them because I wanted to read them as well (he, he). They are very James Bond meets Jason Bourne but a lot more exciting.

I am hoping...
That Morgan takes a good nap today. He is nearing the age where the naps start to get shorter and shorter and I really need those few quiet hours.

I am hearing...
The drip, drip of snow melting and a few cars driving past with a swish through the slush on the road. Morgan is asking for more raisins - "mooooooorrreeee, tank choo".

Around the house...
There are a few toys strewn about the living room, some socks, the newspaper is still by the front door, and I see a little toy person's head peeking out from underneath the piano. I feel like I've been doing pretty good making sure the kitchen is pretty clean before I go to bed at night. It makes everything so much easier in the morning. Ditto on packing Kendle's lunches. If I'm feeling really industrious, I make all of her sandwiches for the week and put them in the freezer until I need them each morning.

One of my favorite things...
Riley bought me some new pajama pants for Christmas and they are the most comfortable, cozy, cute things ever. Usually I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough for my legs - I hate wearing pajama pants that come up to my ankles. These ones are the perfect fit.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Getting back in the regular school routine, attending a primary meeting, continuing to work out everyday, do something fun with the kids, maybe go to a movie. Saturday attend a baptism, Sunday I have a baby shower for my sister-in-law after church and then a cub scout meeting after that. Busy, busy. Riley's boys start indoor soccer this week so he'll be gone Wednesday night at 8:30. One thing I really need to do this week is take a big load of stuff to Goodwill.

That's all for today!

7 comments:

PROUD MOMMY said...

I LOVE this idea, Sarah. I think I might have to steal it...but maybe I'm gonna just aim for once a month. Wednesdays are gonna be really crazy for us too...besides soccer, Caleb also has hockey practice at 5:30 and I was going to attempt to do a bible study...but it's looking like that may not happen if our family actually wants to eat on those nights!

PRP said...

What a great idea. You may see something similar from me soon!

Marilyn said...

Sarah, I love this idea so much, I think I will incorporate it on those days when I want to blog but not decided on what to blog about...thanks for the great ideas.

tharker said...

This is a great idea!

When I was a little girl, I used to love to pull out my mom's journals and read them over and over. My mom could never understand why I enjoyed them so much because she said they were just filled with day to day stuff about the kids, laundry, bills, ect... but I think that's EXACTLY why I did enjoy them. They were an echo of her everyday life and I wanted to soak it all in.

I think that is why I am so pulled to blogging. Yes, some of my posts are meant to entertain others, but mostly it's because one day I'll publish it and my children can read them and remember those day to day moments that made up our lives. And hopefully they'll find the same love and fascination that I did reading my mother's journals.

Okay....sorry that was a really long comment!

hatch said...

Thanks for sharing this link. I love this, it is true that the day to day things although at times can seem mundane, are really important and meaningful to record and in fact not mundane at all.

I am right there with you on the Goodwill drop off. I have a load too.

Sarah said...

Tiffani,
I know what you mean. I loved reading and hearing things from my parents lives. I hope our own kids will too.

Kris said...

Yeah, this really is such a good idea. I love it too. I enjoyed hearing what you are doing(ok, not currently, cuz I'm a day late) but I liked picturing you in your comfy pj's, wanting to work out and smelling those bananas!