On New Year's Eve, we sat around our kitchen counter eating some snacks and drinking some sparkling cider and discussing our goals for our family for the new year. We talked about eating healthier and exercising more. We discussed our family vacations and other fun things we wanted to do together this year. Then Kendle said that she had a family goal she wanted to achieve - she wanted us to try and have family home evening every week the whole year long. We were like - ya of course, umm why didn't we think of that one? So I put her in charge of reminding us and making sure we follow through. She already reminded me last night, and again this morning before she left for school. This is something I want to try really hard to do. For us, FHE's are sporadic or not very well planned, but the challenge is that as soon as Riley starts coaching soccer we don't have many (pretty much zero) evenings together. However, I'm committed to making this happen, whether we have to do it on a different night or whatever. This article gave me some extra oomph to stay committed to our goal.
Thanks again Kendle for keeping your slacker parents on the straight and narrow.
*Extra Credit: How do you make sure your FHE's happen at your house?
January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
What a good goal. I love how Kendle just says things like it should make sense to everyone else. She's a great little girl. Good Luck with your goal. FHE at our house is done mostly cuz of the kids reminding us. It's funny cuz my kids love it, and I don't ever remember growing up loving FHE, when we had it. Am I the only that felt that way growing up?
Hooray for school starting today!!! :)
What a great kid Kendle is! Our FHE's are not super well planned either, our family can do much better in this area too.
We usually have ours on Sunday Nights and Jeremy's parents do it with us. Having someone else counting on us doing it helps keep us consistent, but we're still not perfect.
We really stink at FHE. We almost always do something together as a family on Monday nights, but it's not usually very well planned and rarely involvs a good spiritual lesson. I want to improve on that.
So thanks for the reminder and the push, and thank Kendle too! She's a great example to us all.
I agree completely! We're pretty good at always doing something as a family on Mondays, but rarely are they spiritually based. Good food for thought. I'll let you know what I come up with!
We've actually done pretty well at FHE, mostly because the kids LOVE it and always remind us to do it. Growing up, FHE was always on Sundays because we had such a hectic family schedule (jobs, sports, church stuff etc.) that really could not be arranged any other way so we could do the traditional Monday night thing. That worked pretty well.
way to go Kendle! I have no suggestions, so please let me know what works for you!
When soccer starts we could have it together, or have dinner together or something!
Post a Comment